Financial Assistant 1
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology seeks qualified applicants for a full-time position as a Financial Assistant 1. The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology’s staff provides quality professional services to a diverse and thriving community of students and faculty engaged in innovative research and academic excellence. This position is part of a college-wide effort to build stability and support for CLAS support staff and is key to supporting the Department and college mission for administrative success. Under the supervision of the Educational Program Administrator, the incumbent will process and maintain financial transactions and records for the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides financial, administrative, and program support for the Department.
- Processes a variety of financial transactions including purchasing, travel, billing, payroll, UConn Foundation, and other disbursements.
- Provides data for budget preparation; monitors and tracks expenditures for appropriateness and compliance; maintains accurate financial records and prepares reports.
- Initiates and reconciles credit card transactions and purchase orders; verifies available funds and manages invoice processing.
- Assists with all fiscal procedures, ensuring compliance with established guidelines and budget limits.
- Prepares billing of accounts receivable and monitors collection of monies due. Ensures that payments are received in a timely manner and that monies are collected and deposited in compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Provides expense summaries and budget projections as needed.
- Submits, reviews, and verifies payroll transactions.
- Tracks and maintains the Department’s assets and controllable property.
- Responds to and resolves a variety of financial questions and issues.
- Assists with office support functions, ordering supplies, mail services, room reservations, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field and up to one year of experience in accounting, bookkeeping, or related area; OR Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field and two to three years of experience in accounting, bookkeeping, or related area.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Excellent computer skills including experience in MS Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and regularly exercise judgment regarding administrative detail and procedures.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with business travel management.
- Prior experience with grants and grant-funded research.
- Ability to engage, connect, and work with diverse student, administrative, and faculty populations and provide a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational setting.
This is a full-time, 12-month, permanent position in the UCPEA union. The University of Connecticut offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496501 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on June 30, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.