Associate General Counsel
Associate General Counsel
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati puts education into action, ranking among the nation's best urban public research universities. Home to more than 47,000 students, 10,500 faculty and staff and 330,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls "the most ambitious campus design program in the country."
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, worldwide leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 athletic conference, UC's momentum has never been stronger. UC's annual budget tops $1.6 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.
At UC, today's possibilities spark tomorrow's reality.
The University of Cincinnati's Office of General Counsel is seeking an Associate General Counsel with extensive experience in providing advice on a variety of complex legal matters affecting institutions of higher education. The Associate General Counsel will report to the Vice President for Legal Affairs & General Counsel or her designee. The position primarily will be responsible for providing sound legal advice, counsel and advocacy on matters involving the University and its faculty, staff, and students, including, but not limited to: student conduct; student affairs; Title IX; ethics; employment law; complex commercial contracts; administrative issues; representation in administrative agency proceedings; and, in collaboration with the Ohio Attorney General's Office, oversight and management of litigation. The position will also provide, manage, and coordinate quality legal services that include legal counsel, representation, and advocacy to the University on multiple unrelated matters rapidly, accurately, and effectively in a high-volume, fast paced environment, such as, litigation and other adversarial proceedings, management of outside counsel, compliance, privacy, public records, constitutional law and administrative law. The successful candidate will also have litigation experience, the ability to exercise sound independent judgment, and will work collaboratively and cooperatively with other members of the OGC team in a good-humored environment. The preferred candidate will have higher education experience. As a designated Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio, these legal services may be done in collaboration with the Ohio Attorney General's Office and must be performed consistently with the expectations of the Vice President of Legal Affairs, University stakeholders, and the Ohio Attorney General.
- Provide legal advice and recommend course of action to resolve issues involving student conduct and student affairs in compliance with University policy and applicable laws.
- Assist with Title IX related matters and lawsuits.
- Assist with employment law and Title IV and Title VII related matters and lawsuits.
- Manage outside counsel, interact with other governmental offices, collaborate with University-affiliated organizations in a manner that prioritizes the University's interests, and coordinate with the Ohio Attorney General on University of Cincinnati legal matters as needed.
- Supervise or lead a team or unit or significant function with the Office of General Counsel.
- Negotiate, draft, administer, and achieve compliance on a broad variety of commercial contracts, licensing agreements, leases, and other legal instruments memorializing the diverse activities of a large dynamic organization.
- Provide legal advice and recommend courses of action to resolve legal, procedural, or administrative issues in compliance with all applicable legal standards.
- Conduct legal research and provide analysis, written and oral advice, and training as needed to keep the University and the members of the legal team current on laws and regulations affecting assigned areas.
- Supervise the work of outside counsel and coordinate with the Attorney General of Ohio on University legal matters as required.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other members of the Office of General Counsel as a leader and follower, and support colleagues in a manner that improves team cohesion and trust.
- Work as a team-player in providing advice on a variety of complex legal matters in a fast-paced, high-volume, good-humored environment.
- Assist with review of and responses to public records requests.
- Communicate, cooperate, and interact comfortably with a diverse community and multiple constituencies, including senior administrators, staff, faculty, students, trustees, external professionals and vendors in a manner that demonstrates regard for and commitment to principals of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Work effectively and efficiently in a high-pressure environment and respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations.
- Exercise excellent judgment and attention to detail, act with the highest degree of honesty and integrity, and demonstrate the utmost discretion.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative as and when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Legal Affairs & General Counsel or designee, and perform other related duties based on departmental need.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- 12 or more years of relevant work experience practicing in the range of legal areas listed above.
- Licensed to practice and in good standing with the State of Ohio or licensed to practice and in good standing with another state, and eligible for admission to the practice of law in Ohio without examination which must be approved within eight months of Application.
- Qualify for appointment as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and collaborate on a team while advising diverse Demonstrated skill set necessary to supervise or lead a team or significant function.
- Comply with all legal and ethical rules applicable to an attorney licensed and practicing in the State of Ohio.
- Highest level of legal research and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional stakeholders in a high-volume, but good-humored environment.
Additional Qualifications Considered
- Relevant experience providing legal services to a higher education institution.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Office environment/no specific unusual physical or environmental demands.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
Interested candidates, please go to https://bit.ly/3w0WX0M
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.