Fire InspectorTown of Hilton Head Island
This position reports to the Fire Marshal and performs plan review, code analysis and inspection duties to ensure compliance with fire and safety codes for commercial and multi-family residential structures within the Town.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Inspects existing commercial and multi-family residential properties for code violations and hazardous materials violations;
- Inspects new construction and renovations of commercial and residential properties for compliance with International Fire Code;
- Reviews all new construction and renovation plans for compliance with International Fire Code and for access and water supply and other firefighting strategies;
- Investigates complaints related to immediate life safety hazards;
- Conducts business license and building permit inspections and re-inspections;
- Attends special events to ensure public fire safety; enforces federal, state, and local regulations;
- Assists with fire extinguisher training; assists with fire drills; assists with Fire Prevention Month activities; conducts child safety seat inspections and installations; assists with fire safety and evacuation plans; assists the Public Education Officer with community events;
- Follows-up with facilities placed on Fire Watch; informs line personnel and dispatch when a system is repaired;
- Participates in the work of the Fire Investigation Unit; responds to emergency incidents; maintains equipment; completes fire investigation reports; determines origin and cause of fires; collects and preserves evidence; provides testimony in legal proceedings.
- Associate's Degree in Fire Science or related; and
- 6 years of experience as a Firefighter, Senior Firefighter or FAO; or
- Certified IFSAC/ProBoard Firefighter 1 & 2
- Certification as Fire Inspector I (ICC/SBCCI) or (NFPA)
- Certification as a Fire Plans Examiner (ICC, NFA or NFPA) within 6 months of hire
- Certification as SC State Fire Marshal within 6 months of hire
- Training equivalent to Haz Mat Operations in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120.
- Valid Driver's License.
This is a non-exempt position (eligible for overtime) with a salary range of $46,786.05 - $59,652.22. In addition, we offer an outstanding benefit package that includes health, dental and life insurance, short and long term disability, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, a healthcare reimbursement arrangement and retirement benefits.The Town of Hilton Head Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.