Legislative Liaison - Agency Policy Specialist
Agency Policy Specialist
About the Opportunity:
This position exists to coordinate legislative activities regarding statutory changes that affect the administration and governance of the Minnesota State Retirement System. The position collaborates with the MSRS Executive Director to develop and implement legislative strategies to support agency goals and objectives. This position engages with stakeholders, including plan participants, member and employer representatives, legislators, and legislative staff to gather input, build support, and educate regarding plan provisions. In partnership with the Executive Director, this position represents the agency by testifying at legislative hearings and interacts closely with other Minnesota pension systems.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the development of legislative strategies and goals
- Engage in research and policy analysis to inform the decision making of the Executive Director and the MSRS Board of Directors
- Execute necessary steps during the legislative process
- Serves as the Agency's ombudsman to handle difficult cases to mitigate legislative risks
- Engage with stakeholder groups regarding legislative and policy initiatives
Minimum Qualifications –
Three (3) years* of professional work experience that demonstrates the following:
- Ability to monitor, review, analyze and advise on public policy topics and laws;
- Leadership skills sufficient to define project goals and expectations, anticipate problems, plan contingencies, and evaluate results;
- Knowledge of state government policies and procedures;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience developing and maintaining professional relationships;
- Experience with policy analysis and developing recommendations;
- Developing, interpreting and applying laws, rules, regulations and/or policies;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to engage with and present to diverse audiences on complex subject matter in a professional and relatable manner;
- The ability to learn quickly and retain complex and detailed information; and,
- Computer skills to develop spreadsheets, presentations, charts, graphs, and graphics.
- A valid Driver’s License.
*A Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, communications, business, law, or a related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications –
- Experience working in or around the Minnesota legislative process; and
- Experience working with public retirement-related issues.
- Experience working in the financial services industry.
- A Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, communications, business, or law.
It is the policy of the Retirement Systems of MN that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
The Retirement Systems will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Why Work for Us:
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 62500
Posting Closes: 2/6/2023