The Director of eLearning is responsible for providing overarching leadership to the design, quality development, delivery, and assessment of courses offered in all distance delivery formats including fully online, hybrid (50% or more online), and blended (less than 50% online). The Director will evaluate, assess, and implement technology solutions to support instructional and support services for existing and emerging learning environments including developing metrics and tools to track student success and retention in online, hybrid, and blended courses. In addition, the Director will collaborate with faculty and support staff to ensure best practices in the delivery of eLearning courses and programs. This position has some teaching requirements.
• Provide strategic, innovative leadership in the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of eLearning courses and related programs and services.
• Responsible for ensuring eLearning’s strategic alignment with GTCC’s mission, vision, and goals and facilitates the preparation of both short- and long-term unit plans.
• Provides leadership to the development and review of GTCC’s online program and offerings.
• Leads the effort to analyze distance education performance data/metrics, set goals for appropriate performance on each metric, and develop a plan to reach those goals.
• Responsible for employee supervision and accountability, both direct and indirect reports, including recruitment, selection, orientation, scheduling, evaluation, coaching, rewards/recognition, and discipline.
• Develop and effectively manage eLearning’s budget. Prepare, monitor, control, and ensure spending within the budget allocation. Anticipate cost estimates for future needs.
• Facilitate the college-wide eLearning Committee.
• Work with faculty and staff in establishing documented policy and procedure for eLearning to be published in an eLearning handbook or manual.
• Plan and execute efforts to incorporate new and innovative technologies into e-Learning courses/programs.
• Develop and implement effective faculty certification programming and on-going professional development to ensure quality of instruction online.
• Develop and implement key performance measures that evaluate the quality and effectiveness of support services for online faculty and students, identify potential gaps in services, and improve/increase utilization of services.
• Provide administrative leadership and management for the college’s course management system and online platforms and related applications in collaboration with Information Technology Services.
• Maintain currency with regard to emerging models of distance learning and regulatory compliance issues (e.g., ADA).
• Ensure compliance with regional accreditation standards related to distance learning.
• Ensure compliance with state and national authorization requirements (e.g., NC SARA and SARA NC).
• Lead the effort to assess and address student readiness for online learning with other stakeholders (e.g., faculty and Enrollment Management).
• Develop effective outreach and communication campaigns to increase student awareness and engagement in eLearning support services.
• Participate in national, regional and state professional development initiatives to improve knowledge and skill base.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
• Providing college-wide eLearning processes.
• Safeguarding that all online courses are ADA complaint.
• Ensuring all online courses are formatted in the template model format and the content is fully developed for the course to be available.
• Possessing and maintaining strong technology skills using a variety of available software products.
• Works with a wide range of college supervisors and faculty.
• Works with Enrollment Management team.
• Works with a range of IT constituencies at the college.
• Works with other eLearning Directors in North Carolina.
• Masters degree in educational technology and/or instructional design or related area from an accredited college or university.
• Doctoral degree in educational technology and/or instructional design or related area from an accredited college or university.
• Two (2) years post-secondary teaching experience in an online environment.
• Three (3) years post-secondary administrative experience overseeing distance learning programs/services.
• Experience using a wide range of eLearning technologies including a comprehensive learning management system.
• Experience managing large projects and teams in a complex environment.
• Experience developing and managing budgets.
• Experience with employee supervision.
• Experience with state authorization regulations and compliance.
• Experience with quality standards/rubrics of distance education (e.g., Quality Matters) and assessment of online courses.
• Greater than two (2) years post-secondary teaching experience in an online environment.
• Greater than three (3) years post-secondary administrative experience overseeing distance learning programs/services.
• Experience with regional accreditation standards and processes related to distance learning.
• Experience developing effective faculty and staff training.
• Expertise in curriculum development, instructional design, and online pedagogies.
• Experience in student recruitment for online programs.
• Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Experience with LMS platform migration
• Demonstrated ability to acquire, evaluate, organize, maintain, and communicate data.
• Ability to provide and translate into words innovation and vision, as well as leadership, for the role and use of information, data, and research in planning and decision-making.
• Strong positive interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively, build effective working relationships, work effectively with executive leadership and faculty, be a team-oriented leader, and utilize critical thinking skills.
• Possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including communication clarity and frequency, effective listening and providing feedback.
• Utilize excellent time management, problem solving techniques, and use of professional judgment in a complex team environment.
• Values diversity and possesses an understanding of multicultural and cultural competencies; ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, families and other customers from different backgrounds.
• Proficiency with MS Office to include Word, Excel, Outlook, and presentation software.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Physical Activity: Primarily sitting
Environmental Hazard(s): <15%