The person in this position performs cashier services for the college. Cashier responsibilities include all aspects of student registration, receipting, receipting sponsor payments, miscellaneous receipts and balancing daily transactions while ensuring compliance with daily banking laws. Assist with monitoring and maintaining the integrity and accuracy of the student accounts receivable system through problem resolution and verification of curriculum student refunds.
• Accept, receipt and verify for deposit all cash, checks and other negotiable instruments in payment of tuition, fees and miscellaneous income as outlined in the Community College Laws of NC.
• Audit and verify accuracy of credit balances for high volume of refunds for curriculum students several times per semester.
• Assist with verifying outstanding balances, preparing collection correspondence, and placing holds on student files for tuition balances and other debts.
• Provide exemplary customer service to the department staff, college personnel, and students.
• Answer telephones and assist GTCC personnel, students, and the general public with questions and inquiries.
• Provide technical support for staff and other college departments as it relates to registration and receipting.
• Verify student billings as it relates to inaccurate assessment of tuition/fees, refunds, repayments as well as receivables such as returned checks and credit cards.
• Actively participate in college-wide registration activities.
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
• Process petty cash reimbursements.
• Participate in staff development activities that will improve job skills and enhance overall job performance.
• Assist with 1098-T tax reporting and inquiries.
• Serve as liaison to Financial Aid and Continuing Education offices.
• Assist with special projects as required.
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Reading / interpreting student’s accounts receivable files using several mnemonics in Colleague.
• Multi-tasking: receipting and assisting students/staff in person and by phone, while also completing other assigned tasks in a timely manner.
• Daily: Students regarding balance inquiries, holds, general information
• Daily: Staff regarding questions on accounts receivable files, balances, holds
• High school diploma or GED certificate required.
• Associate degree in accounting, business or related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years general office experience, which must include cashiering, administrative duties, and/or accounts receivable.
• Experience with various network applications: Excel, Word, Email, and Windows-based programs.
• Experience with Ellucian Colleague software.
• Knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems.
• Ability to evaluate existing procedures and processes affecting assigned area of responsibility and recommend revisions.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to perform a volume of numerically detailed work with speed and accuracy.
• Ability to work independently with limited direct supervision.
• Ability to understand and interpret computerized registration files and reports.
• Ability to work within and in support of a team environment.
• Ability to display high levels of integrity and maintain confidentiality of student records.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, faculty/staff, administration, and the general public.
• Ability to multi-task, to remain professional, and to maintain effectiveness under pressure.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in making decisions and identifying alternative courses of action with limited supervision.
• Ability to keep detailed records in an organized manner and to maintain appropriate level of documentation for audit reviews.
• Ability to display high levels of confidence, accuracy, and trustworthiness in processing large volumes of monies/negotiable instruments while securing student information and appropriate endorsement.
• Ability to provide positive customer service by exercising good interpersonal skills such as tact, diplomacy, and professionalism while remaining sensitive to the customer’s needs.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Must present a neat and professional appearance, with the ability to meet and serve customers pleasantly and effectively in person and by telephone.
• Comprehensive knowledge of college policies and procedures, as well as applicable governmental regulations.
• Acceptable credit check and background check required.
• Complete other required employee training as needed.
• Travel to remote campuses as needed.
• Adhere to time and attendance policies.
• Overtime and evening hours are required during all registration periods and when necessary to meet deadlines.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Physical Activity:Primarily sitting